.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Just-Stam
things that just are

Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Daylight Savings Time

Just Wake Up Earlier
Benjamin Franklin is often credited with creating the concept of Daylight Savings Time when he wrote a letter to the Journal of Paris. However, what is little known is that the article was humorous. He was really suggesting that people wake up and go to bed earlier- not a bi-annual changing of the clocks.

From his letter:
I went home, and to bed, three or four hours after midnight, with my head full of the subject. An accidental sudden noise waked me about six in the morning, when I was surprised to find my room filled with light; and I imagined at first, that a number of those lamps had been brought into it; but, rubbing my eyes, I perceived the light came in at the windows. I got up and looked out to see what might be the occasion of it, when I saw the sun just rising above the horizon, from whence he poured his rays plentifully into my chamber, my domestic having negligently omitted, the preceding evening, to close the shutters.


Continue

From Wikipedia

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home